The Site of Takayama Castle
The Kanamori clan renovated a small a castle on the hill now called Mount Shiro (686.6m). It came to be known as Takayama Castle, and was the family abode for over 6 generations from 1588-1695. It was pulled down after Takayama came under the direct rule of the Tokugawa Shogunate. At present, the site of the castle is maintained as a park. In an area that was part of the outer castle, one can find Shoren Temple which was moved here from its original spot in a valley of present-day Shirakawa Village before the area was flooded due to the newly constructed Miboro Dam and hydroelectric power station.
Location: Shiroyama, Matsukura-machi, Takayama City
Access: 20 minute walk from JR Takayama Station