Ceramics came to Japan from China in the 13th century. However, possibly because of the severely cold winters, the Hida Region was for many years not suited to pottery-making, and ceramics did not develop here as it did in other areas. It was not until the Kanamori family, who prided themselves on their knowledge of the Tea Ceremony and the role of pottery in the Art of Tea, instigated the making of pottery in Hida during the Edo Period (1603-1868) that the following three styles flourished
The production of Shibukusa ware began when Toyoda Fujinoshin, a government officer in Hida, directed the opening of a kiln in a place called Shibukusa (present Kamioka Honmachi) in about 1840. Potters and painting artisans for pottery were invited from Seto in Owari (present Aichi Prefecture) and Kutani in Kaga (present Ishikawa Prefecture) and simple, yet delicate, red chinaware were made. At present, there are two pottery studios still active.